Internship is aimed at empowering youth with practical and employable skills in order to enhance their chances of securing employment. An internship experience at work for graduates from educational and training institutions can be a valuable advantage for their educational and career development.
The National Employment Authority Act of 2016 recognizes internships and obligates the Authority to facilitate placement of students at tertiary institutions in positions of internship or attachment in the public and private sectors during and after completion of their studies. It further provides steps to be followed by students of tertiary institutions who wish to be placed on internships, from registering or providing relevant information, to maintenance of records of students seeking internships and those who successfully attain positions of internship, and monitoring the internship programmes.
The Authority will endeavor to develop an a National Internship Policy and programmes that enable graduates take advantage of available internship opportunities to enable them explore career options and enhance their employability. This will assist in mitigating skills mismatch and enhancing the efficiency of the labour market, thereby reducing unemployment
Internship services offered by the Authority include; Registration and processing of applications for internship; Placement of university/college graduates into internship; Seeking internship opportunities for university/college graduates; and Facilitation of student attachments through partnerships with other stakeholders; coordinating internship programmes; providing standards applicable to internship; providing a framework for monitoring, evaluating and implementation of internship programmes; and providing a linkage between training institutions and the industry, thus contributing to the culture of life-long learning.
Other internship services include:
- Coordinating all internship programmes in the country;
- Developing internship policies and programmes;
- Developing standards for effective implementation of internship programmes;
- Maintaining a database on available internship opportunities from employers;
- Sharing information on internship programmes thus making it easier for graduates to secure and access internship opportunities;
- Developing internship placement guidelines;
- Offering guidance and counseling to graduates on internship matters; and
- Monitoring internship programmes offered to foreign graduates.